By Benjamin Wiker
These are their evil opposites. From Machiavelli's The Prince to Karl Marx's The Communist Manifesto to Alfred Kinsey's Sexual habit within the Human Male, those "influential" books have ended in struggle, genocide, totalitarian oppression, kin breakdown, and disastrous social experiments. And but those authors' undesirable principles are nonetheless renowned and pervasive--in truth, they may effect your personal pondering with no your knowing it. the following with the antidote is Professor Benjamin Wiker. In his scintillating new ebook, 10 Books That Screwed Up the realm (And five Others that did not Help), he seizes every one of those evil books by means of its malignant center and exposes it to the sunshine of day. during this witty, discovered, and provocative exposé, you are going to learn:
* Why Machiavelli's The Prince was once the muse for a protracted checklist of tyrannies (Stalin had it on his nightstand)
* How Descartes' Discourse on technique "proved" God's life basically via making Him a construction of our personal ego
* How Hobbes' Leviathan ended in the idea that we've got a "right" to no matter what we want
* Why Marx and Engels's Communist Manifesto may well win the award for the main malicious publication ever written
* How Darwin's The Descent of guy proves he meant "survival of the fittest" to be utilized to human society
* How Nietzsche's past stable and Evil issued the decision for an international governed completely through the "will to power"
* How Hitler's Mein Kampf used to be a type of "spiritualized Darwinism" that money owed for his genocidal anti-Semitism
* How the pansexual paradise defined in Margaret Mead's Coming of Age in Samoa grew to become out to be a production of her personal sexual confusions and aspirations
* Why Alfred Kinsey's Sexual habit within the Human Male was once easily autobiography masquerading as science
Witty, surprising, and instructive, 10 Books That Screwed Up the area bargains a short schooling at the worst rules in human history--and how we will keep away from them within the future.
Read or Download 10 Books That Screwed Up the World PDF
Best conservatism & liberalism books
Neo-liberalism is likely one of the so much influential ideologies because the moment global conflict, but little examine has been dedicated to the flow of principles that represent its major physique of suggestion. This booklet fills the void, offering an unique account of neo-liberalism's highbrow foundations, improvement, and conceptual configuration as an ideology.
Denmark is likely one of the such a lot revolutionary international locations by way of relatives aid regulations. This publication, besides the fact that, unearths a backdrop of lowered rights, inequalities and kinfolk violence within the lives of weak lone moms. if so in Denmark, what's the scenario in different international locations, together with the us, the united kingdom and different ecu member states?
No thought is extra passionately and broadly outlined, or decried, than is liberalism in modern Anglo-American philosophy. yet what is that this concept, on which a lot ink is spilled? This selection of unique essays through major experts in political philosophy, felony thought, and economics deals solutions to that question, via exploring the theoretical commitments of liberals and a few of the sensible implications in their view.
The classics of Western tradition are out, now not being taught, changed through second-rate and 3rd international texts. White men are a victimized minority on campuses around the state, because of affirmative motion. Speech codes have silenced someone who won’t toe the liberal line. Feminists, wielding their model of sexual correctness, have taken over.
- Escape From Leviathan: Liberty, Welfare, and Anarchy Reconciled
- Embedded Liberalism and its Critics: Justifying Global Governance in the American Century
- The Failure of the Heath Government
- In the name of liberalism: illiberal social policy in the USA and Britain
- Fighting Words: A Tale of How Liberals Created Neo-Conservatism
Additional info for 10 Books That Screwed Up the World
And we are also back to Marx. Let us count up the evils we should lay at Rousseau's door with his Discourse on the Origin and Foundations ofInequality among Men. We have seen the connections to Marx, and so we'll put off until the next chapter a further discussion of the evils of Marxism. But paving the way for the juggernaut of communism is not Rousseau's only evil. Rousseau corrupted our imagination in a very profound way. Much of how we act, what we desire, what we consider true and false, real and unreal, is formed according to an image we have of what we think human beings really are and what we believe our place in nature to be.
Animals and plants are no more alive (or dead) than hydraulic pumps, toasters, or alarm clocks. Even more, our human bodies are merely self-running machines. Hence Descartes is also known as the father of modem dualism. Dualism is the belief that human beings aren't one thing-an inti mate and essential union of soul and body-but two entirely dif- Discourse on Method (1 637) 27 ferent and independent entities, a ghostly soul banging around in a ghastly machine. If Descartes is the father of modem dualism, what does dualism itself beget?
And now, all at once, you come full in the face to the "fundamental law of nature. " "Because the condition of man . . is a condition of war of every one against every one; in which case every one is governed by his own reason, " for anyone and everyone, "there is nothing he can make use of, that may not be a help unto him, in preserving his life against his enemies. " Therefore, "it followeth, that in such a condition, every man has a right to every thing; even to one another's body. "5 Even to one another's body!