By Kirk Bauer, Nate Campi
Even if you would like a community of ten Linux computers and a server or a datacenter with a number of thousand Unix nodes, you must understand how to automate a lot of the install, configuration, and traditional method management.
Build your community as soon as utilizing cfengine, and the community construct will paintings, with out consumer intervention, on any you wish. Automating Linux and Unix approach management, moment Edition is exclusive in its specialise in how one can make the process administrator’s task more uncomplicated and extra effective: rather than simply coping with the process administrator’s time, the e-book explains the know-how to automate repetitive initiatives and the method to automate successfully.
* either new and pro pros will make the most of industry–leading insights into the automation process.
* method directors will reach an intensive clutch of cfengine, kickstart, and shell scripting for automation.
* After interpreting all chapters and following all workouts during this ebook, the reader could be in a position to arrange something from a Linux datacenter to a small place of work network.
<h3>What you’ll learn</h3>
See easy methods to make adjustments on many UNIX and Linux hosts straight away in a competent and repeatable demeanour.
* the way to automate issues adequately so that you in simple terms need to do it as soon as, through leveraging the authors’ event in developing small, medium, and big networks.
* arrange a Linux datacenter or a community correctly.
* discover dealing with real–world environments the place now not all hosts are configured alike through a case learn of a fictional new datacenter buildout.
* study real–world examples for center infrastructure providers (DNS, mail, tracking, log research, defense, cfengine, imaging) to construct on on your environment.
* comprehend center procedure management top practices, that are a key a part of how cfengine and automations deployments are defined within the book.
* how one can make adjustments reversible, repeatable, and proper the 1st time via interplay with product/application stakeholders (programmers, product managers, consumers, etc.).
<h3>Who is that this ebook for? </h3>
This publication is for Linux method directors who are looking to find out about the software program and method to automate repetitive tasks—regardless of community or datacenter size—in one position. process managers also will locate it a lot more uncomplicated to consider community know-how and automation tasks in the event that they learn this ebook. This publication can be for a person who's attracted to repeatable and safe infrastructure.
Read or Download Automating Linux and Unix System Administration (2nd Edition) PDF
Similar unix books
This is often the definitive connection with the GCC open-source compiler. Get up to date details at the most recent features--including compiling Java code, construction functions utilizing a number of languages, utilizing the debugger, linking, libraries, and masses extra.
A close and functional consultant to DNS implementation, configuration, and management Technically distinctive with useful ideas entire advisor to configuration and management of DNS servers Covers DNS Extensions, delegation, and registration intimately The area identify approach is without doubt one of the foundations of the net.
First this e-book explains how Pluggable Authentication Modules (PAM) simplify and standardize authentication in Linux. It indicates intimately how PAM works and the way it's configured. Then eleven universal modules used throughout UNIX/Linux distributions are tested and defined, together with all their parameters. deploy of third-party modules is mentioned, and the advance of latest modules and PAM-aware functions is printed.
Simply Say No to Microsoft - starts off by way of tracing Microsoft's upward thrust from tiny software program startup to monopolistic juggernaut and explains how the company's practices through the years have discouraged innovation, stunted pageant, and helped foster an atmosphere ripe for viruses, insects, and hackers. Readers learn the way they could unload Microsoft items - even the home windows working method - and stay efficient.
- Learning Unix for Mac OS X Panther
- Designing User Studies in Informatics
- The Unix Programming Environment
- PANIC! UNIX System Crash Dump Analysis Handbook
- MAC OS X Tiger in a Nutshell
Additional info for Automating Linux and Unix System Administration (2nd Edition)
Automating tasks proves much more useful when you apply a consistent methodology. Not only will you have less direct work (by having code that is easier to maintain and reuse), but you will also save yourself and others time in the future. Whenever possible, we’ll include techniques in this book that support these basic methodologies:• Activities you have performed must be reproducible. • Any system’s state must be verifiable. • Problems should be detected as they occur. • Problems should be repaired automatically, if possible.
You need a permanent solution. A cluster designed to network-boot can just as easily run cfengine and use it to contain system drift. You’ll find helpful cfengine features that can checksum security-critical files against a known good copy and alert administrators to modifications. Other cfengine features can kill processes that shouldn’t be running or restart daemons that are functioning incorrectly. Systems that are booted from identical boot media don’t always have the same runtime behavior, and cfengine allows you to control the runtime characteristics of your systems.
Pull You can take one of two main approaches when configuring, maintaining, and modifying systems: the “push” method or the “pull” method. The “push” method is when you have one or more systems contact the rest of the systems and perform the necessary tasks. You implement the “pull” method by having the systems contact one or more servers on a regular basis to receive configuration instructions and configure themselves. Both methods have their advantages and disadvantages. As usual, the one you should choose depends on your situation.