By Vigdis Songe Moller, Vigdis Songe-Moller
For many of its historical past, western philosophy has seemed girl as a less than perfect model of guy. Like such a lot of features of eu tradition, this practice builds on foundations laid in historic Greece. but the 1st philosophers of antiquity have been hardly ever agreed on first ideas. Vigdis Songe-Muller examines the diversities among Presocratic monists like Parmenides, and implicit pluralists similar to Anaximander, and exhibits how the Greeks made highbrow offerings that may end up fateful for 1/2 humankind. The textual content re-evaluates Greek mythology, throws a harsh new gentle at the invention of democracy, and exposes Platonic concord to be a fantastic pushed via a exceptionally masculine worry of dying. It used to be a terror that can in basic terms be conquer through denying the importance of distinction, and now and then even the rightful lifestyles of that which embodied distinction. For the Greek guy, the adaptation that mattered was once nowhere extra frighteningly obvious than in girl.
Read or Download Philosophy Without Women: The Birth of Sexism in Western Thought (Athlone Contemporary European Thinkers Series) PDF
Best other social sciences books
Der vorliegende Band vereinigt Husserls letzte Nachlaßmanuskripte, die im Zusammenhang mit der Arbeit an der Krisis-Abhandlung in den Jahren 1934 bis 1937 verfaßt wurden. Mit dieser werkgeschichtlichen version wird ein Ergänzungsband zu Husserls letztem Werk, Die Krisis der europäischen Wissenschaften und die transzendentale Phänomenologie, publiziert in Husserliana VI, vorgelegt.
Odo Marquard's doctoral thesis approximately KAnt's skepticism.
- Collected Papers III: Studies in Phenomenological Philosophy
- Formale Dialektik: Ein Beitrag zu einer Theorie des rationalen Argumentierens
- Philosophy of the Arts: An Introduction to Aesthetics
- Carnap Cassirer and Heidegger The Davos Disputation
- Institutes of Hydrostatics; ... with plates. To which is added, a philosophical essay on Air-Balloons and an appendix containing abstracts of ... accounts ... of air-balloon excursions, etc
Additional resources for Philosophy Without Women: The Birth of Sexism in Western Thought (Athlone Contemporary European Thinkers Series)
Springs and limits Of gloomy earth and misty Tartarus, And of the barren sea and starry heaven. (Theogony SOIL) Thought and Sexuality 27 This description suggests we are dealing here with an absolute beginning. The place described is the source of all other things, but it does not itself need to be traced back to anything else insofar as its roots of bronze are 'selfgrown'. As the 'springs and limits' of all things, this place seems to combine beginning and end in a single unity. 10 This new, non-genealogical principle seems here to take over from the three original birth principles.
24) has embarked. Initially we learn of his expedition through his own words. Let us see what happens in the prologue, which both defines the 34 Philosophy without Women themes and provides a perspective for the remainder of the work. 23 It is not just the poets' masculine hero - the only figure of that gender in the entire poem - whom we meet in the prologue, but also the daughters of the sun, who guide his horses in the right direction. The route passes through 'all places', away from 'the realm of night' and into the light.
Once again she appears ambiguous. She combines fertility and virginity, which comes to the same thing as reproduction without sexuality. Hestia is the virginal hearth, the firmly rooted mid-point of the home and family, securing as such the continuity of the ancestral line over generations. We now see that the notion of continuity itself is ambiguous. On the one hand, it denotes a fixed point that remains unchanged despite things changing around it. On the other, it suggests the very process of change.