In a doctoral dissertation accomplished in 1995 (no establishment noted), Vaughn takes the remedy of Hezekiah in 2 Chronicles 29-32 as a chance to check the connection among extra-biblical old information and an interpretation of Chronicles. He combines archaeological and epigraphic proof with a centred studying of the verses to argue that traditions or remembrances that have been traditionally actual have been used to build the ideological message for the post-exile group.
Read or Download Theology, History, and Archaeology in the Chronicler's Account of Hezekiah PDF
Best old testament books
A contemporary string of popular-level books written by means of the recent Atheists have leveled the accusation that the God of the previous testomony is not anything yet a bully, a assassin, and a cosmic baby abuser. This standpoint is even making inroads into the church. How are Christians to reply to such accusations? and the way are we to reconcile the likely disconnected natures of God portrayed within the testaments?
"Subversive Scribes and the Solomonic Narrative" seeks, partially, to give a contribution to the continued dialogue via investigating the Solomonic narrative throughout the optics of propaganda and, particularly, subversion. considering that prior reports have already given significant consciousness to the propagandistic capability of varied features of the Solomonic narrative, Seibert's booklet explores examples of scribal subversion in "1 Kings" 1-11.
This publication includes a new edition of the scroll that represents an early revision of the Septuagint towards a better correspondence with the Hebrew textual content of the Bible. After an in depth creation, the quantity presents the textual content with and with no reconstructions, notes on palaeography and reconstructions, and a remark on translation procedure, orthographic peculiarities, and textual kin.
This significant paintings re-examines prophecy and the prophets in historical Israel, with essays ranging all of the manner from Israel's historic close to japanese heritage correct as much as the hot testomony. the vast majority of essays pay attention to prophecy and the prophets within the previous testomony, that are approached from a awesome variety of diversified angles.
- A Catalog of Biblical Passages in the Dead Sea Scrolls (Text-Critical Studies)
- The Melchizedek Tradition: A Critical Examination of the Sources to the Fifth Century A.D. and in the Epistle to the Hebrews (Society for New Testament Studies Monograph Series)
- ''When Gods Were Men'': The Embodied God in Biblical and Near Eastern Literature (Beihefte zur Zeitschrift fur die Alttestamentliche Wissenschaft)
- "As It Is Written" and Other Citation Formulae in the Old Testament: Their Use, Development, Syntax and Significance
Additional info for Theology, History, and Archaeology in the Chronicler's Account of Hezekiah
3. Dahood, Psalms. 4. C. Culley, Oral Formulaic Language in the Biblical Psalms (Toronto: University of Toronto Press, 1967), p. 118. 5. Oral Formulaic Language, pp. 10-20. 6. Oral Formulaic Language, p. 14. 7. A. Berlin, The Dynamics of Biblical Parallelism (Bloomington: Indiana University Press, 1985), p. 18. 8. R. Jakobson, 'Grammatical Parallelism and its Russian Facet', Language 42 (1966), pp. 399-429. 9. Geller, Parallelism, p. 1. 2. Textual Study 57 others, for confusing three aspects of parallelism.
3. 4. 5. 6. 7. 8. 9. Psalmen, p. 69. Briggs and Briggs, Psalms, p. 154. Briggs and Briggs, Psalms, p. 154. Cross, 'Studies', p. 146. Buttenwieser, Psalms, p. 463. Gunkel, Psalmen, p. 69. Briggs and Briggs, Psalms, p. 154; and Cross, 'Studies', p. 146. Cross, 'Studies', p. 146. Stuart, Studies, p. 12. 2. Textual Study 35 preposition is present to connect it with , so unwarranted changes are necessary in v. 13 when the word pair is attached to this verse. Without the phrase, no insurmountable problems exist with either verse, nor is there any appreciable loss in meaning.
Gregory; Boston: Crocker & Brewster, 1829), pp. 35-36. 6. L. Kugel, The Idea of Biblical Poetry: Parallelism and its History (New 2. Textual Study 55 Based on such authorities, the approach to meter in this book will be fluid. The major words (basically nouns and verbs, but including other parts of speech as necessary) have been counted and a six-word pattern has been detected for each set of parallel lines, designated '3+3' meter. '3+3+3' designates those parallel lines which are made up of three members (as in vv.